Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 2013 #1 - Mixed-up May
















We are more than third of the way through the year and my posting tardiness unfortunately continues.  Not only was spring taking longer than expected to reach me but the month was more than a bit out of the ordinary since I could have sworn I had already posted a hat for the month.  Oops!  However, I did want to try something completely different this month so I thought I'd try my hand at designing a hat with lots of different colors and stitch changes. Just for fun. Just because I needed the challenge. I don't think I came up with anything revolutionary, but I feel its a cute little hat. I certainly could have been more thoughtful in the color choices, but I simply grabbed whichever color was closest as I tend to over think my color choices as a general rule and I was "trying" to be different.

The pattern is available on my pattern page and as a Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort in Chambray, Goldenrod, Copen Blue, Ivory, Pimpernel, Hummus, Seedling, Rosebud (from the brim up). I used 16" size 7 circular needle and 1 set of size 7 dpn. Stitches used are knit, purl, K2tog, and an adapted Small Fancy Twist from Potter Craft's 400 Knitting Stitches. Although I used plenty of color I believe the hat would look equally as nice in fewer colors or with only one color.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

April 2013 #2 - Star Struck
















Even though it was not finished in April it was started in April, so I'm counting it as my April hat. As I've mentioned I've really struggled with the "star" theme. I had this idea in my head of wanting to put just one big star on a hat but just could not find a pattern that would work the way I wanted. And believe me, I tried many different options, both knitted and crocheted. I finally remembered that I had been gifted Melody Griffiths 201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects, and Ideas book. Viola! I finally found what I was looking for. Did the hat turn out exactly like the vision in my brain? Not really, but I'm moving on...

The pattern, Cecily Beanie, is available as a Knitting daily download. I used Berroco Comfort in Copen Blue on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl and k2tog. I prefer to knit in the round so I modified the pattern by c/o 88 stitches and then changed the decrease sequence to match. The star motif is in Berroco Comfort Ivory on a G hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, half double crochet and slip stitch. As usual, I really can't read crochet patterns so I sort of half followed the directions, but in the end it sort of looks like the picture. Perhaps I need to really learn how to crochet some day. Yeah, when I have time. LOL