Friday, March 28, 2014

March 2014 #2 - Alex & Joe
















Last month at a monthly knitting gathering I asked my friend Alex if she happened to have any chunky yarn in the Halos of Hope stash she kept. Apparently there wasn't, but that didn't deter Alex from retrieving several skeins of her personal stash, which she explained had purchased specifically to make hats for Halos of Hope, so she was happy to give the yarn to me since that was my intent as well. Thus I thought it only fitting that the two hats be named after Alex and her husband Joe. Both warm, caring and generous people who I am very grateful to have met and consider my friends.

The pattern, Starving Musician, is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Cascade Pacific Chunky in Hyacinth and Fire & Smoke on a size 10.5 16" circular needle and a set of 10.5 dpns. Stitches used are purl, p2tog, Ktbl, Pf&b and K2togtbl. The pattern explains each stitch term used with the Ktbl creating a twisted rib effect. I again used the crocheted (or chained) cast-on, which I'm actually quite liking. The hat works up pretty quick since the pattern is very easy to follow. Depending on how many rows are knit before the decrease rounds, the hat can be either worn as a beanie or longer allowing the hat have a cuffed brim or worn in a slouch style.

This was my first photo taken outside since winter began and I hope this means that we are finally moving onto Spring and some warmer weather. Fingers crossed.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

March 2014 #1 - Swirl

















Just like the wind, or so it seems. It appears as if the wind is continually swirling the snow back again for another go around and that winter just will never end. Thankfully Spring break is only a few weeks away and I'll be able to spend a few days doing projects around the house and hopefully getting a few extra hours of knitting time.

This particular pattern, HeSaid She Said is available for purchase on the Chic Knits website. (I actually bought it almost two years ago. Yikes!) It calls for a bulky weight yarn, which of course I didn't have, so I substituted Berroco Comfort in Chambray (worsted) and Berroco Comfort DK in Purple. Together they created a pretty variegated color that I quite liked although in doing so I lost some of the stitch definition. Oh well. I used a size 8 16" circular needle from the CO through the rib section and then switched to a 10-1/2" 16" circular needle and a set of 10-1/2 dpns for the remainder of the hat. Stitches used are knit, purl and k2tog. I again used the chained (or crocheted) cast-on which I must say I'm actually liking quite a bit. I found that the stockinette portion of my brim ended up rolling up and not lying flat as in the pattern photo. If I make this hat again I would add a bit of length to this portion so as to make sure I achieve that flat look. The rolled brim works well with this particular hat, but I think the flatter brim would like better with a solid yarn.

I should also probably apologize for the weird photo. It looks like my hat is floating. #1, I need a better mannequin and #2, I need a better place to take indoor photos. Of course, there probably is a #3, I need to actually know how to take good photos. LOL.