Sunday, September 26, 2010

September hat #3 - Button-Tab Knit Hat

Even though I have made this hat previously, I haven't made it as one of my monthly challenge hats, so I thought I'd count it as a September hat and add the pattern link. It knits up quickly and you can use any number of color combinations. The pattern also offers suggestions for brim variations if you want different looks.

The pattern is available for free at I used a partial skein of Berroco Comfort Security Blanket multicolor yarn and some stash in Cadet for the brim. The hat is knit on a 16" size 7 circular needle and 1 set of size 7 dp. Stitches used are knit, purl, and K2tog. This is one of my favorite patterns.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Congratulations Halos of Hope

This past week my LYS held a special book signing event for the release of Annie's Attic Chemo Caps and Wraps. This all crochet pattern book features 29 patterns modeled by someone who is either a cancer survivor or has had a family member touched by the disease. Although the book has some wonderful patterns and beautiful color photographs, the best part of the book is that a portion of the proceeds from each book sold will be donated to Halos of Hope.

Although I have only known Halos of Hope founder and cancer survivor, Pam Haschke, for a short while, I am in awe of the work she has done. She took her personal experience and reached out to make life better for others. I suspect that the publicity generated by Pam's story (which is included in the book) will expand Halos network of volunteers around the country and they will continue to grow. Allowing them to meet their ever increasing requests for hats/caps. While I am only a small contributor, I am proud to be associated with such a wonderful organization and an amazing individual. Congratulations Pam!

September hat #2 - Le Rosette un Bleu

So not really a new hat pattern. This is the Shells and Trellis pattern, which has quickly become my favorite hat to whip up when I feel the need to finish a hat in a hurry. What makes THIS hat my second hat for the month is the rosette that I learned how to make. One of my fellow Ravelry friends made one and I fell in love with the idea. Eileen was kind enough to post the directions, which can also be found on the Lion Brand Yarn website.

The hat used a partial skein of Berroco Comfort in Grape Jelly and a H hook. I thought is was just a bit short so I added a final row of sc for added length. Because the flower pattern is adaptable to many yarn weights and gauge is not really necessary for an embellishment piece (or at least it isn't for me). I stayed with the Comfort yarn and used some leftover yarn in Pumpkin and Pot-Au-Feu (multi-colored). I made the medium rosette, chaining 35 out of the multicolored yarn, and then repeated it again making a separate piece out of the Pumpkin. Stitches used for both hat and rosette are dc, sc, and sl st.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

September hat #1 - Fuzzy Pink Twins

I can't believe it is already the 12th of September, and with this late date I've become "one of those kind of bloggers". When I started this project blog I told myself, that timely blogging was essential. So then what happens as soon as school starts and I got busy? I didn't take the time to write a blog post for a hat I finished on the 6th! Although I can not promise to be a better blogger I will try. Now to remedy my tardiness.

I wanted to whip up a quick, yet "fun" hat and thought I'd use some of the bargain yarn I purchased at Stitches Midwest. Personally, I really don't like this type of yarn (which I thought was a fun fur but have since been told it is a boa), but I can almost guarantee that some young girl will like not only the pink color, but the fuzzy aspect of it as well.

The pattern is available for free at Although this is an adult pattern I wanted to make my hat for a young girl. The pattern calls for a size 9 needle, I used a size 8. I used the stitch directions for the small hat size although I only knit 4 inches before starting the decrease. Stitches used are knit and K2tog. The hat could not be easier (which is why I made two). The challenge for me was working with this silly yarn. I was sooo close to finishing and dropped a stitch. Which of course I couldn't see so I ended up unstitching all the way to a three inch piece before I had all the stitches accounted for again. But, I figured it was actually quicker than frogging the whole thing and starting over from scratch.

Lesson learned...don't let the dog jump on your lap when working with fuzzy yarn.