Friday, June 16, 2017

June #2 - Ivy
















My hands have been a bit achy so I switched to crochet which offers different movement. Even after all the hats I've made, I still do not consider myself a crocheter since I still have difficulty understanding patterns. Once I figure it out, I can move right along, I just don't "get it". As per usual, I started, ripped out, re-worked, ripped out, tried again, ripped out, and I think figured out the pattern on my fourth attempt. It really shouldn't be this difficult, and I'm not even certain I did figure it out, but it looked okay, so...I just went with what I had.

The pattern is In Bloom Beret and Cap by Brittney Waterhouse and is available for free as a Ravelry download.  I used Berroco Comfort in Lovage for the brim, and Marum body of the hat and I used a size I hook. Stitches used were slip stitch, single crochet and a bobble (made from double crochets). I typically crochet loosely so I went down a hook size from the recommended "J" called for in the pattern, however, I found that the cap was turning out a bit on the small size. I decided to add an extra row of increases to compensate. (no I did not swatch, lol)  I opted not to add the button and might actually make this again.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June #1 - Bable



















Has it really been since February that I posted a hat? Shame on me. But then again, my head has been in a stressed place and my hands have not been cooperating much either. Sadly this hat was actually started and probably finished in March, but I have not had the energy or mental state of mind to look at my computer when I get home. Enough of that, you want to know about the hat, right? Guess what, I don't really remember! lol.

Not certain why I still insist on naming my hats, but I do, but I'm running out creativity. This one is lamely called Bable because it is a cabled hat knit with brown yarn (I can hear the groans already). The pattern Declan's Hat which is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Bernat Satin in mocha on (I think) a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. The pattern calls for size 6 needle, but I found the size 8 in the bag with the finished hat and yarn waiting to be put into Ravelry, and honestly, it's been awhile since I finished. However, looking at my stitches it certainly looks like I used the size 8 and based on my stitch count I knit the small size. Since the hat fits me loosely, I'm fairly confident I picked up the larger needles. Oops. Which could explain why I had such a difficult time getting the cables to lay properly. I knit and ripped, knit and ripped, so many times I was getting frustrated. I really didn't understand what I was doing wrong. I just figured my head wasn't in the game. It never occurred to me to check my needle size. Yet another lesson learned.