Saturday, August 31, 2013

August 2013 #2 - Slouch This!

Aha, I made it before the end of the month! Really, given the craziness of back-to-school these past several weeks this is actually quite the accomplishment for me. And sadly this particular hat is one that has an even longer history since it was started last year. Yes, last October to be exact. But I ran out of the dark gray and then Berroco was having some production issues and yarn was hard to come by, so I simply took the hat off the needles and put it away. I was cleaning out my yarn closet recently, found the project, ordered some yarn, and although it didn't match the original yarn as closely in color as I would have liked, it was enough that I was happy enough to finish up the hat and move on.

Although the pattern is probably not widely unique, it is an original and the pattern is available for free as a Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort in Kidz Orange, Dusk, Smokestack, Primary Yellow and Primary Blue on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit and k2tog with a provisional cast on. It's a great hat for a small boy to young teen. It fits my adult son, but without enough slouch for his liking so he has suggested changes for another version and has already picked out his yarn. I guess I best get busy.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 2013 #1 - Blue Honey

Can you believe I missed July entirely? I'm ashamed to admit it but life just got a bit too busy. My daughter bought a new house and the time I would spend knitting was instead spent helping her. Still a worthy cause, but certainly far more physically demanding. I had brought several hats with me to work on and all my knitting simply sat untouched as I was too tired each night to even think about picking up my yarn and needles. I'll try to make up some extras over the coming months, but I have some hand surgery in my future so I think it may be a struggle just keeping up from here on out for awhile. Please be patient with me.

With the summer months upon us I was looking for a pattern that would offer the wearer a style that offered coverage while letting in a bit of a breeze. I found Op. 11 by EatingLemonKnitKnitKnit. I used Berroco Weekend for the main body in Starry Night and Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel in Purple Ice for the ribbing on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, yarn over, slip stitch, psso, and k2tog. I had made the had previously in a wool yarn for another charity and created a seam like affect. Of course, I thought I could do better and made adjustments to the pattern. Wrong! The adjustments are not really noticeable, but they were a pain to keep adjusting for. Which is most likely why the pattern was written why it was. Which is why I shouldn't have thought I knew better. Silly me. I like the pattern, it was quick, it was easy, and it is pretty.

Oh, and if you're curious about the name...I thought the pattern created a honeycomb look. I'm running out of ideas of hat names and I've got this thing about naming my hats.  I know, I need a life. LOL