Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 2012 #3 - Please Don't Squeeze the Grapes

People often ask me where I get my the ideas for my hats, and I always answer, "I get them all over the place". As I mentioned last month, I saw some striping that I like on other hats and did something similar, I see color combinations on clothing or design fabrics that I remember. I also browse through the finished projects pages of the various groups I belong to on Ravelry. There are so many amazingly talented people posting their work that my "favorites" list is far longer than I'll ever be able to accomplish in my lifetime. Several months back, I came across a super cute hat by knitschmidt (her Halloween costumes are even cuter!). From her idea, came this hat.

The pattern, Bubble Hat, is published in 60 More Quick Quick Baby Knits. I used Berroco Comfort in Purple and Marum for the leaves, on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, k2tog and a k5b (knit five below). The k5b was a new stitch and I was making a total mess of it until I found this easy tutorial by knit1frog2. The addition of the crochet hook, which would seem like a pain, actual helped speed the process along and the hat came together easily. I switched colors at decrease round 7 and then also moved down to a size 5 needle for the i-cord. For the life of me I can't remember what pattern I used for the leaves, but I did make a note that I used a size 4 needle.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

December 2012 #2 - Berry Berry

As you can see my fascination with stripes has taken a new form. Found this pattern and immediately thought that the brim work should be done in multiple colors, and I must say, I'm quite happy with the outcome.

The pattern, Marguerite Anne, is available as a Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort in Boysenberry Heather, Goldenrod, and Dried Plum on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl and k2tog. The first color change was on row five, and then another on row 11. I also added an additional row of knitting just after the band (making the band 15 rows) because I thought the final color change would transition better.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 2012 #1 - Neopolitan

One of the wonderful aspects of Ravelry (okay, it might really be a curse) are the many great hats that I find that other people make that I find inspiration in. My queue is overflowing and I most likely will never make them all. Especially since I tend to find two for every one that I actually make.

That was the case when I saw this great hat by Kraftling that was she so cleverly designed. I used her stitch notations, only taking away the color work, since that doesn't seem to work well with the Comfort, and instead choose to do some color variation work.

I used Berroco Comfort in Humus, Pearl, and Raspberry Coulis on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, make one, and k2tog. It is a combination Krafling's original design and Felicity by Wanett Clyde. I c/o co 88 sts w/Humus and knit 5 rows of stockinette. Changed to Pearl knit 7 rows of k,1p1 ribbing and then knit 1 row of stockinette. Change to Raspberry Coulis and knit stockinette until the hat measures 5.5” from bottom edge. The remainder of the hat (the increases and decreases) follow the Felicity pattern.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

November 2012 #3 - Cool Blue

Hat number three on the November stripe train express. This time the inspiration came whilst shopping downtown with my Ravelry friends, Mel and JoAnn. Mel, was on the last bit of a whirlwind cross continent visit. I was fortunate enough to meet both of these ladies through a Ravelry group, all of whom are fans of designer Susan B. Anderson. (I've made many of her designs in the past, August 2011, November 2011 and January 2012, just to link a few).

Sorry, off topic a bit, back to "this" hat...I had already finished the first stripe hat, was working on the second when I came across this wonderful array of hats in a sports shop. I just happened to have some colors that worked in my stash so this is what I came up with. I used Berroco Comfort in Smokestack with Turquoise, Honeyberry Heather, and Robin’s Egg for the stripes on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, k2tog. As with the other two striped hats, I made up the pattern and included the actual row counts on my Ravelry page. The pdf is also linked here and on my pattern page for you to download if you prefer. However, please keep in mind I am not a hat designer so please let me know if you find any errors.