Friday, June 16, 2017

June #2 - Ivy
















My hands have been a bit achy so I switched to crochet which offers different movement. Even after all the hats I've made, I still do not consider myself a crocheter since I still have difficulty understanding patterns. Once I figure it out, I can move right along, I just don't "get it". As per usual, I started, ripped out, re-worked, ripped out, tried again, ripped out, and I think figured out the pattern on my fourth attempt. It really shouldn't be this difficult, and I'm not even certain I did figure it out, but it looked okay, so...I just went with what I had.

The pattern is In Bloom Beret and Cap by Brittney Waterhouse and is available for free as a Ravelry download.  I used Berroco Comfort in Lovage for the brim, and Marum body of the hat and I used a size I hook. Stitches used were slip stitch, single crochet and a bobble (made from double crochets). I typically crochet loosely so I went down a hook size from the recommended "J" called for in the pattern, however, I found that the cap was turning out a bit on the small size. I decided to add an extra row of increases to compensate. (no I did not swatch, lol)  I opted not to add the button and might actually make this again.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June #1 - Bable



















Has it really been since February that I posted a hat? Shame on me. But then again, my head has been in a stressed place and my hands have not been cooperating much either. Sadly this hat was actually started and probably finished in March, but I have not had the energy or mental state of mind to look at my computer when I get home. Enough of that, you want to know about the hat, right? Guess what, I don't really remember! lol.

Not certain why I still insist on naming my hats, but I do, but I'm running out creativity. This one is lamely called Bable because it is a cabled hat knit with brown yarn (I can hear the groans already). The pattern Declan's Hat which is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Bernat Satin in mocha on (I think) a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. The pattern calls for size 6 needle, but I found the size 8 in the bag with the finished hat and yarn waiting to be put into Ravelry, and honestly, it's been awhile since I finished. However, looking at my stitches it certainly looks like I used the size 8 and based on my stitch count I knit the small size. Since the hat fits me loosely, I'm fairly confident I picked up the larger needles. Oops. Which could explain why I had such a difficult time getting the cables to lay properly. I knit and ripped, knit and ripped, so many times I was getting frustrated. I really didn't understand what I was doing wrong. I just figured my head wasn't in the game. It never occurred to me to check my needle size. Yet another lesson learned.

Monday, February 20, 2017

February #1 - #5 A Solid, A Stripe, and A Chunky Trio...Oh My!

Winter has been mild this year, but nonetheless, I have been fighting multiple colds and feeling like a hamster in a cage at work. No matter how quickly I spin my wheel I can't seem to catch up on my work. Therefore, work has been coming home with me on the weekends. Sigh... Which we all know to mean, less time for knitting, and certainly less time for photos and posting. With President's Day and a lovely Spring day (I'm certain we'll pay for it later), I was able to photograph and catch up.
















I've called this hat "Seasonally Green" is because the pattern is the Dark Seasonal Hat which is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort in what I think is Adirondack (the band is missing, but I remember having ordered this yarn for another, never finished, project) on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. The pattern calls for an aran weight yarn, but I just used this and stayed with the same needle size. I used my now favorite Old Norwegian cast-on and used were knit, purl, and a mock cable. I've had this hat in my Ravelry favorites for a few years now, so I was happy to have finally tried it.
















"Happy Stripes" is one of my favorite hats. I had made a less stripey version for my daughter and found it to be so quick, I thought I'd make another using all the bits from my Comfort scrap bag. While I am completely in love with the hat, I really didn't love weaving in all those ends! The pattern is the oddly named Hat #18 Scrap Hat which is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl, slip stitch and k2tog. Super cute.





















I really do try my best to use the yarn that I have when making projects for charity. But....I was making hearts and just "needed" something different, happened to notice this yarn on sale. And. Well.... I made the hearts and used the "leftovers" to make a few hats using Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino Hats for Everyone pattern available for free on their website. These are the women's size, made with Premier's Serenity Chunky yarn in Spring, Majesty, and the Seven Seas colorways. The stitches used are knit, purl and k2tog.  I love chunky yarn, I just don't like the size 11 needles I needed to use. They were however super quick to make. I not only made these three, I also made three baby hats to finish off the yarn. All in 2.5 days, but my hands are paying the price. Ouch!