December #1 & #2 - Big Stripe & Little Stripe

What do you do when you are in the middle of making a hat and run out of yarn? That's exactly what happened when I was making the Big Stripe hat.



Big Stripes is a personal pattern that uses Berroco Comfort in Dusk (dark gray) and Pot-Au-Feu (rainbow multi). I originally used a black but when I ran out, the hat just sat in the project bag for about a year. I kept telling myself I would buy more yarn, but I finally faced the fact I couldn't justify it when I literally have bins of it, so I ripped it all out and started over with the dark gray. I used a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl and k2tog. I c/o 88 stitches, k2p2 for 1.5" and two rows of each color until there 5.5" from the cast on edge. I did a simple decrease pattern with a knit row between until the K4 row, when I omit the knit rows. 

I had a bit more of the dark gray and wanted to make a child's hat, so....















The child’s hat is the Boys Gone Loopy hat available as a free Ravelry download. I wanted a different look than the bright rainbow multi so I switched it out for the Berroco Comfort Raspberry Tart by Bethany McRae. It is knit with a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl and k2tog. I was afraid I might run into the same situation as before (and run out of the dark gray) so I only knit 2.5” instead of 4” called for in the pattern before changing colors. I also only knit only 7.5” before starting the decreases. The loopy bit at the top is crocheted with a size H hook and single crochets.

Comments

  1. The first hat is my favorite! I love how the dark grey sets off the rainbow yarn; it's like a stained glass window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I didn't think of that. Now I want to change it's name! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts