Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 2012 #3 - Ribbons
















I know, I'm straying from my child's hat directive, but I've been working on this one for a bit now and finally finished so I wanted to get it posted.  Nice pattern, not my favorite weight of yarn. At least that's my conclusion after finally finishing up this hat. I started it last November, yes that's six months ago. I started and stopped knitting on it so many times I lost count, I even frogged it completely at one point because I wanted to use the needle for another project. At this point, why not buy another needle? In fact I finally did, why now, after this was finished? Because I'd actually like to make other DK weight hats and if the speed of this one is any indication, I'll need another needle so as not to have a repeat of the whole frogging episode.

The pattern is Ribbons of Hope by Kim Fluck, who developed the pattern out of a mistake. Liked the results and decided to share her pattern with others. The pattern is available for free either as a Ravelry download or on Kim's blog. I used Berrocco Comfort DK in Beet Root on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, k2tog, p2tog, and CF6. If I were to make this again, I’d like to decrease the beginning ribbing so as to bring the “ribbon” detail closer to the brim. I also think I got carried away while knitting and need to watch how many inches I have before beginning the decreases. I’d like the hat to be more fitted and less slouchy.

Monday, March 26, 2012

March 2012 #2 - Lucky Ladybug

Since the past couple of hats have strayed from my original intent of only making children's caps this year I felt I needed to get back at it and finish up one of the hats I've had sitting around. Somewhat sad that the hat was finished months ago, but I wanted to add an embellishment. The sad part is that it took me nearly three months to make one. However, I do think the ladybug is rather cute, and very appropriate for the beginning of Spring.

Technically I'm cheating posting this pattern since it is the same pattern I used for my August 2011 hat, Black Beauty, which is McKinley's Springtime Hat, available for free as a Ravelry download. I'm justifying the posting because the ladybug would be something new. A weak excuse, but the hat came out so stinking cute I wanted to share it anyway. Besides, they're my stupid rules (of which no one can understand why I have them anyway), so if I want to break them once in a while I think I can.

I used Berroco Comfort in Gooseberry Heather (green) with Primary Red and Liquorice (black) for the ladybug. The hat is crocheted with a size H hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet and slip stitch. I still think the hat worked up on the small size, but I didn't want to increase my hook size with this particular yarn. The ladybug is something I made up, a simple circle with smaller circles for the spots. Since I did make it up as I went, I have no idea how I really made the head and antenna (which is a shame because I'd like to make more).

Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 2012 #1 - Sherbet Sunburst
















A few nights ago I started thinking about my stash of magazines, all of which I've purchased because I liked a particular pattern or two. I've yet to develop an efficient method of keeping them handy for when I'm searching for a new project. More often than not, I simply complete a simple search within Ravelry and find a pattern to fit my whim of the moment. Such as this hat, which is another for the Halos of Hope Soothe for Spring Campaign, although this one is a bit more Summery as opposed to Springy (but I don't think they'll mind). I wanted to use cotton, I wanted to crochet, I wanted it to airy and I wanted a little bit of brim. With a few simple clicks I found something I could work with. Now if I could just figure out how to catalog my magazines as efficiently...

The pattern is available on Bizzy Crochet. I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in Over the Rainbow with a size J hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet and slip stitch. The pattern calls for a reverse crochet to finish the brim, but I couldn't figure it out, so I simply slip stitched the edge all the way around to give it a nice finished look.