March 2012 #3 - Ribbons
















I know, I'm straying from my child's hat directive, but I've been working on this one for a bit now and finally finished so I wanted to get it posted.  Nice pattern, not my favorite weight of yarn. At least that's my conclusion after finally finishing up this hat. I started it last November, yes that's six months ago. I started and stopped knitting on it so many times I lost count, I even frogged it completely at one point because I wanted to use the needle for another project. At this point, why not buy another needle? In fact I finally did, why now, after this was finished? Because I'd actually like to make other DK weight hats and if the speed of this one is any indication, I'll need another needle so as not to have a repeat of the whole frogging episode.

The pattern is Ribbons of Hope by Kim Fluck, who developed the pattern out of a mistake. Liked the results and decided to share her pattern with others. The pattern is available for free either as a Ravelry download or on Kim's blog. I used Berrocco Comfort DK in Beet Root on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, k2tog, p2tog, and CF6. If I were to make this again, I’d like to decrease the beginning ribbing so as to bring the “ribbon” detail closer to the brim. I also think I got carried away while knitting and need to watch how many inches I have before beginning the decreases. I’d like the hat to be more fitted and less slouchy.

Comments

Popular Posts