January 2013 #1 - Big Bold Tassel
















This seemingly simple hat takes the prize for having taken me the longest to finish. How long? 376 days to be precise. It's a simple hat, so why so long? The hat itself was started and finished on New Year's Day 2012. What I couldn't bring myself to work on was a stupid pom pom for the crown. I am pom pom challenged. For whatever reason, when I make them, they just look under-fed and sort of sad. So this wonderful hat sat in my closet for much too long. In the meantime I've gone on to knit many a hat (68 for 2012), both for Halos of Hope and for other charities. What prompted me to finally finish this hat? I've lost my hat making mojo. While some might not think this situation a problem, for me it is akin to a major crisis. So I thought perhaps bringing this out of hiding and finishing it up would help me find my way.

The pattern, Scoops! by Ashley Solley, is available as a Ravelry download. I used Berroco Comfort in Seedling, Lidfors, Pimpernel and Aster on a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and SSK. I did attempt to make a pom pom for the top, but failed, yet again. So decided instead to make a tassel. I used this great little wood tray that was once my grandmother's. It was intended for this purpose, but it worked beautifully and I think the tassel adds to the hat's overall appeal.

I hope this is the rejuvenation of my mojo because I love making hats. I want to make hats. I need to make hats.

Comments

Popular Posts