March 2014 #2 - Alex & Joe
















Last month at a monthly knitting gathering I asked my friend Alex if she happened to have any chunky yarn in the Halos of Hope stash she kept. Apparently there wasn't, but that didn't deter Alex from retrieving several skeins of her personal stash, which she explained had purchased specifically to make hats for Halos of Hope, so she was happy to give the yarn to me since that was my intent as well. Thus I thought it only fitting that the two hats be named after Alex and her husband Joe. Both warm, caring and generous people who I am very grateful to have met and consider my friends.

The pattern, Starving Musician, is available as a free Ravelry download. I used Cascade Pacific Chunky in Hyacinth and Fire & Smoke on a size 10.5 16" circular needle and a set of 10.5 dpns. Stitches used are purl, p2tog, Ktbl, Pf&b and K2togtbl. The pattern explains each stitch term used with the Ktbl creating a twisted rib effect. I again used the crocheted (or chained) cast-on, which I'm actually quite liking. The hat works up pretty quick since the pattern is very easy to follow. Depending on how many rows are knit before the decrease rounds, the hat can be either worn as a beanie or longer allowing the hat have a cuffed brim or worn in a slouch style.

This was my first photo taken outside since winter began and I hope this means that we are finally moving onto Spring and some warmer weather. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular Posts