February 2015 #1 and #2 - Snow and Winter Sky





















One hat pattern. Two different yarns. Two different yarn weights. Two different hats. This is what I love about knitting. I often see other people's work and think there is a new pattern to be discovered, only to find out they have made a clever interpretation on a pattern I've already found. Today I simply switched out yarn weights and did a bit of adjustment to the number of stitches cast-on. But I could have added a second color before or after the cables, created a stripe pattern in the body of the hat, or added a pom.

The pattern is the Fetching Inspired Hat by Grace Lee and is offered for free on her blog. For the white hat I used Berroco Comfort in Choco Chip on a size 10.5" circular needle and a set of 10.5 dpns. For the Winter Sky hats used Berroco Vintage in Old Jeans on a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. For both hats I used the Old Norwegian cast-on to allow for a stretchier edge, however for Snow I only cast-on 70 stitches instead of the 80 as the pattern called for as I did for Winter Sky. Stitches used were knit, purl, k2tog, plus the cable stitch over four stitches.

The first hat name is appropriate, but I'm not certain about the second. The coloring should be more gray than brown. But whatever. I'm the only one who cares anyway. LOL.



Comments

Popular Posts