April 2015 #3 - Swirled Stripes
















This hat has been sitting in my favorites for quite some time since I love the look of the seamless stack of single rows of color. What I didn't realize is that I would dislike the process of making this hat so much. For whatever reason I just couldn't get into the process. I just didn't like it. It was clever enough and it certainly works because you sure as heck don't see any jogs in my stripes anywhere. I just wasn't into it. First I just "had" to change the bottom roll of the brim from 3" to 2". This was my first mistake because in the end it probably would have looked better with a bit more fabric, but okay, I can live with this. But then along the way, I started twisting my color changes which caused the stripes to jog. Of course, I didn't notice I was doing this for about an inch and half. Rip. Rip. Rip. Then when I got to the decreases I apparently couldn't count. Not once, but twice. I'll blame it on being tried.

The pattern is the Helix Striped Cap for which I used Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton in Amethyst and White and Lily Sugar'n Cream in Hot Pink on a size 7 16" circular needle for the cast on and brim and then a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns for the remainder of the hat. Stitches used were knit, k2tog, and i-cord. Overall, I like the hat, just not the overall knitting experience I had with it.

Comments

Popular Posts