June, July and August - Eight hats and a scarf

The blog has a new look again since I wasn't thrilled with just plain white. Using only white is difficult for someone who used to use all the crayons in the crayon box. You will notice that past posts are more visual, which I actually like. That said, where have I been these last few months? It certainly didn't take me two months to choose a blog theme. Of course I'v been busy, helping family, surprising my sister in Texas for her birthday, and visiting my daughter in Virginia for my birthday. Then August shows up on the calendar and it is all about heading back-to-school. The short two months just flew by. I did finish some knitting during this time, its just getting everything uploaded and documented that delays me. As if that were so tricky. Hmmm.

In late June and early July I had two finishes for Hats for Sailors. Blue Thermal & Sllouchhy (mis-spelled on purpose). Both hats used a size 4 16" circular needle for the ribbing and a size 7 16" circular for the remainder of the hat. For both I used Cascade 220 Superwash, in Baby Blue, Raspberry and Charcoal. The pink and gray hat pattern is Kaare, available as a free Ravelry download or if you happen to read Finnish, from the designers blog. (I used the English version, lol)





The pattern is Thermal Cap and is available either as free Ravelry download or from the Green Mountain Spinnery website. It is written for a light fingering weight yarn, which I do not use, so I modified it for worsted. Instead of c/o 120, I only c/o 90 and knit as written in pattern until the decreases, which were not unlike the pattern except certain decreases happened in different rows and in slightly different configurations. If you are interested in making a worsted version you can find the mods written in my notes on my Ravelry project page


I also finished three hats to send to a Ravelry friend who collects them each year warm the heads of school children in Maine. The charity was started in honor of her sister who had worked in special education. They were all simple hats, perfect for kids. Details are on my Ravelry project page.


Another Ravelry friend collects for The Red Scarf Project each year. I really wanted to use stash yarn and had two skeins of Simpliworsted by HiKoo, one in Edgy Eggplant and one in Crimson. I wasn't confident I could get a decent sized scarf from one skein so I used both which gave me a nice, soft, squishy scarf. I actually knit on 10.5" straight wood needles! I c/o 15 stitches and did a simple k1,p1 repeat throughout, binding off in pattern. The entire scarf took me four hours. I actually kept track.




My final charity knit for this post is for another Ravelry friend who collects purple baby hats. The little hats are given out to new parents to remind them never to shake a baby. I used Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! in Mixed Berry. For the stripes I used the ILTY in Ivory and the Pound of Love Pink (that just keeps on giving).

The two striped hats are made with the Simple Baby Cap pattern from Susan B. Anderson's book Itty Bitty Hats. I made the smallest size, c/o 64 stitches. For one I alternated six rows of stripes. For the other a single stripe of six rows.

The solid hat is made using the Hello Baby Hat pattern, also by Susan B. Anderson. One of my personal go-to hats.

All are a bit larger than usual because I grabbed a size 7 needle instead of a six. Oops.



Comments

Popular Posts