Pumpkins!

Between hats (which need to be photographed) I've done a bit of test knitting for a friend, Carol E. Herman. She has several wonderful pumpkin patterns already, but recently put out a call for test knitters for a large cabled pumpkin. Cables and an oversized pumpkin. What was not to love about that test knit? However, try as I might, using those larger needles with cables was just too much of a challenge for my poor hands to handle forcing me to alter the yarn weight and needle size. Bummer.



The yarn is Cascade 220 in Tangerine Heather and I settled on a size 7 needle. I still wasn't totally thrilled with the tightness of the weave so after reaching the color change I transferred my stitches to some waste yarn and did a bit of light felting. (a spin in the hot cycle of my front loading washing machine) Which did the trick nicely, even if it is difficult to see in the photo. The Stem is knit with Plymouth Yarn Tweed in 5314 Green on a size 4 needle with the tendrils on a size 6 needle. I'm quite pleased with the final result.



Shortly after finishing another email came out asking for another test knit for a mini pumpkin. This “Wee Pumpkin” used Debbie Bliss Ecobaby in Coral and Apple on a size 2 needle. I went off pattern for the top because I couldn’t make the easy version work. I realize now it is because I was using a cotton yarn that had little of the give that a wool yarn would have had. A wool would have been squishier and easier to work with. But, I used what I had since this pattern used such a small amount of yarn I didn't want to purchase anything. It also knit up in about an hour and half (which would have been less if I didn't have to fiddle with the changes I made).

My modifications for the top would be fairly simple if done intentionally. I was able to gather the stitches at the bottom but not the top, it looked seriously wonky. So I decided to rip out the bind off and pick up the stitches in the green stem color and did one round in pattern. Round two is (k1, k2tog,p2) k2tog. Then I continued to k2tog until I had two stitches left, which became the stitches for the icord.
Now I have two cute pumpkins gracing my television cabinet. Happy fall y'all.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts