Test knitting


Fiber enthusiast as a collective group tend to be a very friendly and helpful group of people. I've always found someone willing to answer any question, regardless of how simple or strange it might seem. There is also that same willingness to help pattern designers test knit their new designs. The test knitter helps locate any errors in the pattern, provides input on yarn requirements and includes finished measurements. All part of the design process to help the designer publish the best possible error free pattern.

I've participated in a couple of test knits in the past but recently signed up on Yarn Pond. A new service to bring designers and testers together. I highly doubt I'd tackle any of the large projects, but bring on the hats. lol

My first test knit was for Lil Bitty Beta's Beanie by Sarah English Perry Designs (she can be found on both Ravelry and Facebook). I choose to make the preemie sized hat to illustrate how yarn and needle choice makes a difference.





For hat #1 used sizes 5 & 7 needles with Berroco Comfort yarn in Menthe (green). I used 18g of yarn. The hat has a 12” brim and is 5.5” from the cast-on to the crown.

For hat #2 used sizes 6 & 8 needles in Knit Picks Felici yarn held double. I originally wanted to make the 12 month size, but would have run out of yarn, so I ripped it out and opted for the preemie. Which is why I decided to do the three hat comparison. I ended up using 30g of yarn. The hat has a 12.5” brim and is 6” from the cast-on to the crown.

For hat #3 I went off pattern request and used size 3 needles with some stash yarn, Claudia Hand Painted yarn. I love the colorway name, Truffles. I used only 13.5g of yarn. It has a 8” brim. I decided to adjust the pattern and begin the decreases at 3.5" which then gave me a measurement of 4.5” from cast-on to the crown.


You can see the difference my yarn and needles choices make between these three hats. The hats themselves are very stretchy and will make a great donation for an upcoming IBK charity. Till then, I'll put them aside and perhaps begin working on a new design of my own. Either that or just open up one of the roughly 500 plus hat patterns I have saved in Ravelry.

Happy Crafting friends.













Comments

Popular Posts