My Blue Period

Years ago I purchased a sweater quantity of Berroco Comfort in blue. This yarn is exactly as it sounds. It is soft, squishy, and comfortable. Unfortunately the sweater was a nightmare to knit and never made it past the front panel. I've been using it for hats ever since. In my mind I still hats massive skeins of it so I decided to try knitting up a dozen different baby hats (all by Susan B. Anderson, of course). All blue. Imagine my surprise when I realized I've actually used almost all of it. Especially when I still have a giant tote filled with Comfort yarn! Instead I ended my blue period with six hats.


Hello Baby is free pattern by Susan B. Anderson and available from Blue Sky Fibers. It is a simple wonderful knit that makes a nice baby gift or charity item.


This hat, The Flower Cardigan and Hat, is part of a layette set from Susan's book Itty-bitty Nursery. I cast on the smallest size. I didn’t like the way my stem looked wrapped around the hat, but I did like the look of the loops on the sweater. So I decided to mimic that look instead.


Another layette hat from the book, this is the hat from the Pure and Sweet Layette. Although shown white in the book, I obviously kept the blue theme working. lol


This sweet little hat is from another of Susan's book, Itty-bitty Hats, Little Chick. I choose this hat strictly for the picot hem.


Also from the same book, this hat needs to have both the front and back shown. I used the Olive You! pattern for the hat construction (including learning how to do a 3-needle bind-off!) but this yarn, yummy as it is for soft hats, does not do well in pom making. So I opted to skip that part and then used the Dotty hat (same book), for inspiration on the embellishment. Except I crocheted my dots and did not do as many. Yes, I was being a bit lazy. But I really do like the way the hat turned out.



This hat is the Little Red Wagon hat, which you will notice does not have a red wagon. I did make one, sewed it on the hat and everything. But was not at all happy with the finished look. So, off it came and I'm much happier with the simple knotted finish.


All in all I'm quite pleased with the six hats. Each one is special in its own way. Each one will warm a little head when it is eventually gifted down the road to a future IBK charity. For now, they'll be added to the pile in my closet. Details for all these hats can be found on my Ravelry project page.

On to my next self-imposed challenge. lol

Comments

Popular Posts