For my January hats I decided to take up the challenge offered by Halos of Hope. Not that it took much convincing, new hat pattern, I'm in. And just how is this hat? Of course I forgot to move up in hook size so my hat came out way too small (it fits Fuzzy Bear), but I'll remedy that when I make a second one.
I liked the hat so much I wanted everyone to be able to participate in this challenge. But not everyone crochets, so I thought a knitted version would be could to have posted. Well, there are a few knitted styles, but none that match the crocheted version. So...I decided, what could be so hard about this, I'll just whip one up. Yes, I know. Not that easy. Well, the hat was, the ears took several different tries before I got them the way I liked them. It is my first attempt at writing a pattern, so if there are errors, or if you can not understand any of the directions, please let me know.
For both hats I used a partial skeins of Berroco Comfort Hummus, Wild Cherry, and Chalk. The crochet pattern is available for free from Red Heart. The knitted version is available as a PDF on my pattern page.
Hat #1: The hat is crocheted with a G hook. Stitches used are chain, hdc, hdc increase, sc and sl st. I added a single row of sc to the edge of the hat for a more finished edge. Ear placement was determined by simply folding the hat in half and then sewing the ears on at each fold.
Hat #2: The hat is knit on a 16" size 8 circular needle and 1 set of size 8 dpn. The outside ears are knit on a set of 6 dpn using a double strand of yarn. Stitches used are knit, purl, p2tog, and K2tog. The placement of the ears are probably the hardest part of the finishing.