October 2011 hat #1 - Chunky Pink Cables
















Isn't that the most original name for a hat? This was actually the third time I've made this pattern, but the other two had been gifts, this is the first for donation. The color choice is obvious since it's Pinktober and the yarn was a donation. I typically do not work with wool. Not only am I allergic to it, but I also work under the assumption that the recipient of one of my hats may want to wash it, so I just stay away from wool. Since I have made the hat a few times I have a few observations to share about the pattern. The k2p2 ribbing works better than the other brim choice. Apparently my stitching is too tight so I do not use a smaller needle when stitching the brim. You are left with a bit of a peak at the top of the hat when finished, but it stretches out when put on the head so don’t worry about it.

The pattern, Chunky Dean Street Hat, is available for free as a Ravelry download. I used Bouton d'Or Laika yarn in Flamingo. I used 16" size 10 circular needle and 1 set of size 10 dpn. Stitches used are knit, purl, K2tog, and right front cross (RFC). The RFC stitch was a new stitch for me and was a bit tricky to figure out at first, but there is a nice photo-tutorial along with detailed written instructions included with the pattern that I found helpful. I like the end result of the cable look, and obviously I like making it (since this is the third), I wish it knit up just a bit faster, but that could just be me.

Comments

Popular Posts