Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 2104 #1 - Success!
















I did it! I finished my first hat. For those that know me, and for those who routinely read this blog, that may not appear to be significant. But, if you have been following along, you will remember I had reconstructive surgery on my left thumb in late November. I have yet to pick up my knitting needles, but I was able to slowly crochet an old favorite. It was not easy, very slow going at first. I had to frog my first two attempts since they were VERY small. However, I simply considered them therapeutic practice and started over.

The pattern is Shells and Trellis Cap by Melody Hamor and is available for free from the Halos of Hope website. It was the first pattern ever donated to the charity and known to be a popular choice among chemo patients. I used Berroco Comfort in Mixed Nuts with a size J hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, double crochet and slip stitch. Although the pattern doesn't call for the last round of single crochets, I always like to add them, just to give the bottom edge a nice clean finish.

The flower is the Flower Accent pattern by Mimi Alelis. I used Berroco Comfort in Dried Plum with a size 7 hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, half double, double, and slip stitch. I'll be honest, I haven't a clue if I made it correctly since there were some directions I didn't understand, but as always, I just sort of interpreted it my own way. It looks like a flower, so I think its okay. I added the orange button and then attached the entire flower to the hat for stability. I must say though, maneuvering the flower around was a bit hard on my hand so I'll not be making any of these again for bit. Best to make sure I've gained a bit more flexibility and strength before I tackle another.

0 comments:

Post a Comment