April 2014 #2 - Violet, Flower Power and Blue Brim
















Not exactly super original names, but there are times it becomes more important to get the hats posted about as opposed to named. If you know what I mean. This particular trio has been sitting on my desk for about three weeks or so as I've been overly busy at work and more than a bit tired in the evenings and playing catch-up on the weekends. So I either gave up on some creativity and went with what I had, or let them languish on. I choose to post, especially since I'm late in my April posting. Again.

All three hats were originally intended to be baby gifts. All three hats fit me, so obviously they are a bit too large to fit a newborn. Oh well, I just made new gifts and had a couple of bonus hats for the monthly count. Violet is from one of my favorite designers, Susan B. Anderson. It appears in her book Itty-Bitty Hats. Susan is a very warm and friendly person who is both an accomplished designer and wonderful blogger & photographer. If you not already familiar with her, you can find links to her various Craftsy classes, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Ravelry accounts from her blog site.

Violet is the Felted Flower Child pattern and is made with HiKoo Simpliworsted in Grape Jelly with the Flower in Ella Rae Cozy Soft Prints in Purple/Pink on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, k2tog, and p2tog. The first two rows are knit flat and then joined in the round for the remainder of the pattern. The flower is crocheted and because I had the hat sitting about for so long I've lost track of what pattern I used. I apologize for that.


Flower Power is basic hat pattern with a picot edge. I used the same two yarns as before, the HiKoo Simpliworsted in Grape Jelly as the brim with the body in Ella Rae Cozy Soft Prints in Purple/Pink on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and k2tog. The flower is in Berroco Comfort in Rosebud and is crocheted with a size G hook. Stitches used are sc, dc, and slip stitch. I found the pattern on Pinterest (Love that site!) at daisycottagedesigns.net. I added the little purple bit to the center because I just thought it needed a little something more. I don't really remember what I did, but I think its simply single crochets around. I will admit that after paging through the Itty-Bitty Knits book again, I realize Susan B. Anderson has a much better way to do a picot edge (on page 74) that I used and I believe I will have to try that method on one of my future hats. The way I do them is very cumbersome and awkward.


The last hat is another basic hat with simple 2x2 ribbing and stockinette. I used HiKoo Simpliworsted in Silver Blue for the brim and Ella Rae Cozy Soft Prints in Cornflower/Silver/Off White for the body on size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and k2tog.

A longer than normal post, but then I usually don't have three hats in one. Thanks for indulging me.

Comments

Popular Posts