Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June 2014 #4 - Funny Bunny
















Let me pull a rabbit out of my hat. No need, I made a rabbit hat instead. I know, bad joke. But in my head it sounded funny. This very cute little rabbit's hat was made on request for sweet Emily, who also named the hat. I didn't speak to her personally as she was having a bad day yesterday, but I understand she liked the hat and it brought a smile to her face. So job accomplished.

This pattern is another Darleen Hopkins' original. Bunny Rabbit Costume Hat is available for free on Darleen's website. I used Lily Sugar n'Cream yarn in White and Pink Rose. As with all my crochet projects I have some modifications to note. (really, at some point you'd think I'd actually learn how to crochet properly) The hat is crocheted with a size H hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, and half double crochet. I felt the hat was a bit too snug so I added an extra round of increases, but I didn't want it too long either so I stopped the length at round 19. Stitches used for the ear include the same as the hat plus sc2tog. My first ear looked very small so I thought I'd be clever and add a few extra rows of length before adding the edging. It looked fine, but then I wasn't certain I could replicate what I did (because of course I wrote nothing down), so I went up to an I hook and stuck to the pattern achieving a better proportioned ear. I really didn't want to make another since I was tight on time so I decided to just go with what I had. I knew that ear placement would take time, and it did, because I'm overly picky about these things. But the end result was worth it. Cute hat. Happy recipient.

Monday, June 23, 2014

June 2014 #3 - Amazing Lava
















Looking for a quick and easy hat? This one certainly fits that description. I believe it took me only two, maybe three evenings (I don't remember), to finish this up. I like using a cotton for summer, but worry that the stiff worsted weight of this particular brand might be to hot unless there is a bit of airiness to the hat in some respect. I'm sure its just me, and I'm probably over thinking it, but that's what I do. LOL

The pattern, Amazing Grace Hat, is available as a free. I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in two colors, the solid is Hot Pink and the variegated is Lava Lamp with a H hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet and slip stitch. The pattern calls for decreases in the single crochet bands (the Hot Pink section), but I decided that the hat was already a bit on the snug side (yes, I did not do a swatch before starting) and choose to omit those. There was also supposed to be a reverse sc stitch around on the last round that I also omitted. (I'm not real sure how to do that, LOL). As usual, when it comes to crochet, when in doubt, I just make up what I want. Hopefully the hat designer will understand it has nothing to do with the way they write their patterns, its all me.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 2014 #2 - Marshmallow Fluff
















My neighbor, dear sweet Emily, choose the colors of this hat. She requested a beanie style hat in an openwork fashion so that her head wouldn't get too hot. I browsed for several days looking for just the right pattern, but found nothing to match the image I had in my head. So instead I decided to just start knitting and see what happened. The ribbing was easy, as it always is. But I restarted the main part of the hat a couple of times because I wasn't happy with yarn over work stitch patterns I was trying. I finally came upon a stitch that I liked and it worked with the number of stitches I had. Bonus! Thankfully Emily and I have about the same sized head so I was able to try the hat on to determine when to start the simple decreases.

I used I Love This Cotton in Turquoise and White on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and k2tog. The pattern is currently being test knit and will be available shortly.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

June 2014 #1 - Green Bucket





















Does this hat look familiar to you? Well it should. Apparently I have a thing for posting about this particular hat in June. It first appeared in 2012 as the Carmel Bucket and then again with an added felt embellishment as the Flower Bucket in 2013. So why am I posting about it again when I have nothing new to add? Well, I had originally intended to add a felt sunflower pin (and I probably will still make one), but this post is more about the hat's journey than the hat itself.

The hat was made a bit too large. I followed the pattern and knit in the round until the hat measured 6.5 inches from brim's edge before starting the decrease rounds. However, that just makes the hat just a bit too big (for both me and the intended recipient). So I was going to add the pin, pop this one into the bag to donate, and start another. Unfortunately, the young lady receiving the hat started her chemo last week and began loosing her hair this morning. It was a rough day and she needed a quick pick-me-up. She loved the hat. Big as it is. She'll wear it on the hammock to keep the sun off her eyes. I then had her choose from any of the other hats awaiting donation. She was excited. Running to the mirror to see what she looked like. And she looks so cute in hats! She choose Spring Stripes, Robin's Egg, and Blue Honey.

I've been donating hats for over four years now and this is the first time I have personally seen the joy that they can bring to someone. Its a wonderful and blessed feeling. I need to knit faster.

Please forgive the bad photograph, I quickly took it before I delivered it. Indoors, bad light. Sorry.