June 2014 #4 - Funny Bunny
















Let me pull a rabbit out of my hat. No need, I made a rabbit hat instead. I know, bad joke. But in my head it sounded funny. This very cute little rabbit's hat was made on request for sweet Emily, who also named the hat. I didn't speak to her personally as she was having a bad day yesterday, but I understand she liked the hat and it brought a smile to her face. So job accomplished.

This pattern is another Darleen Hopkins' original. Bunny Rabbit Costume Hat is available for free on Darleen's website. I used Lily Sugar n'Cream yarn in White and Pink Rose. As with all my crochet projects I have some modifications to note. (really, at some point you'd think I'd actually learn how to crochet properly) The hat is crocheted with a size H hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, and half double crochet. I felt the hat was a bit too snug so I added an extra round of increases, but I didn't want it too long either so I stopped the length at round 19. Stitches used for the ear include the same as the hat plus sc2tog. My first ear looked very small so I thought I'd be clever and add a few extra rows of length before adding the edging. It looked fine, but then I wasn't certain I could replicate what I did (because of course I wrote nothing down), so I went up to an I hook and stuck to the pattern achieving a better proportioned ear. I really didn't want to make another since I was tight on time so I decided to just go with what I had. I knew that ear placement would take time, and it did, because I'm overly picky about these things. But the end result was worth it. Cute hat. Happy recipient.

Comments

Popular Posts