March 2015 #1, #2, & #3 - Sunrise, Sunshine & Edelweiss

Another month of last minute postings. Honestly, you'd think I'd be better at this after all this time. It isn't that the hats aren't finished earlier, I simply can't get good photos during the week. Then the weekend comes along and... You know how it is. Sigh!

Well, this month I continued on with my stash busting quest and happily used some newly acquired yarn from a fiber friend who was doing some cleaning out. I loved the color and thought it perfect for a bright and cheerful spring hat or two. (These actually didn't use much so there will be more hats to come!) For these two hats I didn't use a pattern, but made a simple beanie and slouch style hat.

















Sunrise is knit with Crystal Palace Yarns Mikado Ribbon Print in Yellow Orange on a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. In April of 2012 I had knit Zephyrus using a ribbon like yarn. I adapted my notes from that project and cast-on 80 stitches, knit in stockinette for 5.5” and then began a basic decrease pattern. To avoid the curling of the brim, I went back and picked up the edge and did two rows of single crochet. Stitches used were knit, k2tog, and a single crochet.

















Sunshine is also knit with the ribbon yarn but I also used Ella Rae Cozy Soft Solids in Tangerine on a size 8 16" circular needle and a set of 8 dpns. I began with the Cozy Soft with 1.5” of 2x2 ribbing, knit stockinette for 7” and then did rapid decreases. I wanted to alternate the ribbon and Cozy Soft yarns with two rows of each, which I began after the ribbing. This was my first attempt at carrying the yarn along the inside of the hat. I'm not completely thrilled with the outcome as I think the transitions could have been smoother and the less visible. However I did like not having to go back and weave in all the ends.

















The final hat is a departure from the sun theme and is a hat I've wanted to knit for quite some time. Edelweiss is actually the Flower in an Hour pattern by Susan B. Anderson and is available for purchase in her Ravelry pattern shop. I used Berroco Comfort Chunky in Choco Chip on a size 10 16" circular needle and a set of 10 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl, k2tog, and yarn over. The flower is included in the pattern and I used the same yarn and needle size. Stitches for the flower include knit, purl, p2tog, backward loop c/o and some passing over stitches that Susan does a wonderful job explaining. Although I knit the chunky version the pattern also comes with directions for an aran weight yarn. I will admit however that I don't feel the Comfort Chunky is a true chunky yarn. It's rather more like a heavy worsted which causes my knitting to always end up a bit smaller than I'd like.

Comments

Popular Posts