January 2016 #2, #3 and #4 - MYIT Failure = Chemo cap success

What seems like a long time ago one of my knitting friends proposed knitting up the My Year In Temperature project.  There was five of us that ultimately committed to this insane project, and not one of us was making a scarf. Two were doing a blanket, two of us were making stocking hats, and one had not yet decided when we kicked off the project on August 1st 2014. We established a Facebook page to encourage each other on and we were to debut our finished creations at the 2015 Stitches Midwest Student Banquet. Only one of us made it to the banquet, and it was a stunning creation of a stocking cap. One blanket has since been finished and is keeping its crocheter nice and toasty this winter.

My journey however was not so successful with hand issues and ultimately surgery keeping me from finishing. But in all honesty, I would most likely have never worn my hat anyway, so therefore, I had no interest in finishing it now that my reason to do so has long since past. I couldn't just frog the whole thing, that would be unbearable, to say the least. So what to do? I decided to deconstruct it a bit and make it into three hats. It is Stripe It Up Season, after all.

So I started with this










and ended up with this.










I've named them Late Summer, Fall, and Winter. Not terribly original, but fitting in that the main part of each hat is from that part of the original hat.

The original pattern was Stocking Cap by Lisa Carnahan and is available for purchase in her Ravelry store. I followed the pattern as directed, until of course I decided to deconstruct it. It is knit with Berroco Comfort in Filbert (80-89°), Goldenrod (70-79°), Lidfors (60-69°), Olive (50-59°), Marum (40-49°), Adirondack (30-39°), Indigo (20-29°), Chambray (10-19°), Lavender Frost (0-9°) on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl, and k2tog. There were other colors selected for the original hat, but since we never got about 90 or thankfully below 0 I never needed to use them. 

I wasn't thrilled with how the original hat was progressing, but in the end, I love the three hats it became. Hopefully there are a couple of young men (because they totally look like boy hats to me) that find they "need" a hat just like this.


Comments

Popular Posts