February 2016 #2 - Nutty Stripes
















And you are probably asking, "What does this hat have to do with nuts?" Nothing really, other than one of the yarns is called Mixed Nuts and I couldn't come up with anything better. Sad, but true. Although the name of the hat could have been "Sad Looking Pom". Honestly, I really do need to figure out the whole pom issue that I have. I use a pom maker, but I still end up with poms that look like they've been on a year long diet.

There was no pattern for this hat, I made this up as I went. I used a size 6 16" circular needle and c/o 88 stitches and then did a k1p1 ribbing for two inches. I then knit one row before changing to a size 7 16" needle and began changing colors. The yarn is all Berroco Comfort with the ribbing in Falseberry Heather and the stripes in Mixed Nuts and either Chalk or Pearl (the band was off and the two colors are too similar). Each stripe is three rows and I continued until the hat was six inches from the c/o edge. I then began a standard decrease pattern beginning with (k9,k2tog) and a knit row between. When I was down to the (k3,k2tog) row I eliminated the knit rows and did decreases in every row. Then I added the sad pom in the dark brown. Which really doesn't look "terrible", it just doesn't look great, and let's face it. I'm not going to knit if I'm not going to try my best.

So who's going to take on the challenge of teaching me how to make poms?

Comments

Popular Posts