April 2016 #1 - M. Wood
















A little late to the party, I know. I had the pleasure of meeting Myra Wood at a Stitches Midwest event several years ago so now was the time to show my support by knitting up one of Myra's SchKnit Happens Scratch Caps. The only problem is that she uses fingering weight yarn (gasp) and I'm not certain my feeble fingers would hold up for an entire adult sized hat. (little preemie hat, okay, but adult hats are a different story all together) So I decided to do a little modification to the pattern. She did mention the pattern was a basic formula and that we should experiment and try different things. Soooo, I tried a different weight yarn. Which obviously required additional modifications, BUT its better for my fingers. Which means I can knit more.

The pattern is available as a free Ravelry download. The hat is knit with Berroco Comfort in Indigo, Smokestack, Iron Oxide, Goldenrod and Marum on a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl, and k2tog. I c/o 84 stitches with a k2p2 for about 1.5 inches, a seed stitch for about 1.25 inches, four rows of garter stitches, a 3x4 basket weave stitch and then stockinette standard decreases. I should mention that I have a thing for how color changes bleed together on purl stitches so I always do a knit row before I actually change colors. I should get over it.

Thank you for the pattern Myra and I wish you all the best.



Comments

Popular Posts