February #1 & #2 Mom and Me

Although these are simple looking hats, they have quite a little story to tell.

I originally made the child hat, adding a basketweave stitch after the ribbing. LOVED the look and was feeling really proud of myself for such a cute little hat. I still had more of the pink so I thought I'd make another simple adult hat to match. This is where the hats take an odd turn.


The pink is still that Lion Brand's Pound of Love, along with Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in White and Berroco Comfort in Dusk. It is knit with a size 6 16" circular needle and a set of 6 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl and k2tog.  I only knit three rows of stockinette before the inch of ribbing and the hat just didn’t look right.  I had just read that a Ravelry friend had cut off some ribbing to add length to a finished sock. Soooo I cut off the c/o knit to do some more ribbing. Ending with about two inches in total. I then knit six rows of stockinette before in order to get the curled brim I was looking for.

It was time for photos. I got out my two heads, slipped the adult hat on, no problems. However, when I tried to put the child had onto my child head form. Not even close. The basketweave made the circumference waaayy to small. I was disappointed to say the least.  
















So….I chopped off the basketweave, putting both the ribbing and the main body of the hat on two circulars. I then knit six rows of white onto the pink. Originally I thought I would just knit the two pieces together, but that didn’t look right. Not really good at the kitchener stitch, I whipped out my trusty little Kitchener Stitch tag from Katrinkles, got a really long piece of yarn on my needle and just went for it. It came out fairly descent, even the odd final join. The hat is knit with the same yarn as the adult hat, also on a size 6 needle. 
















See, not so bad of a stitch or a join. 😀









Katrinkles has some of the cutest stitchable buttons. I've just placed an order for a set of leaf buttons, a knitting gauge (not that I swatch much), and a knittable sweater ornament. I can't wait to find the right project for those buttons!





Comments

  1. Hi Pat. Have you knitted Susan's pattern, Smooth Operator Socks? She has a slightly different Kitchener Stitch which I love because I always get that donkey ears problem on my sock toes; her way totally eliminates that issue for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefanie, I wish I did knit socks as I'm very jealous of all those colorful sock drawers my friends post photos of. But since I'm allergic to wool I haven't yet ventured into the world of socks. Maybe someday?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts