February #3, #4, & #5 - Introducing a "new" yet old charity

Since the beginning of the blog in 2010, I have only posted about the hats I've made for Halos of Hope and/or chemo patients. However during this same time period I have also been making hats for many other charities. Preemie hats for a NICU center in North Carolina. Children hats for a school charity in Maine. Baby hats for a number of different charities from Arizona, New Jersey and Australia to name a few of the many different locations.

The charity I've knit for the longest (other than chemo hats) has been the Hats for Sailors group. I found them on Ravelry, of course, although they now have a Facebook presence as well. Having a daughter in the Navy, this group holds a special place in my heart and I love what we as a collective group have been able to accomplish over the years. In 2017 the group knit 1,070 hats to warm the heads of four deserving ships.

I've decided that not only will I showcase my hats for chemo patients, but ALL my hats for charity. Why not? You may find something you want to knit.

The hats I knit for chemo patients do not have any restrictions, only that they not be scratchy on the skin and I typically avoid wool since some patients develop sensitivity during treatment. However per request of the Navy, all hats knit for Hats for Sailors must be 100% superwash wool (for safety reasons). So now you know where my wool goes. lol


Going for Gold 1 uses FibraNatura Inca in Yellow. The pattern is Gridiron by Johnny Vasquez. It is knit with a size 10 16" circular needle and a set of 10 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl, slip stitch and k2tog. Although the size 10 needles are a bit hard on my hands I love the stitch definition it brings to the this yarn.


Going for Gold 2 (not very original with the name here) also used the FibraNatura Inca in Yellow along with a Rust. The pattern is The Warm One and is available as a free Ravelry download. It is knit with a size 10 16" circular needle and a set of 10 dpns. Stitches used were knit, purl and k2tog. Easy mindless knitting that produces a nice warm hat, living up to pattern's name.


The final two hats are both knit with Cascade 220 Superwash. The Navy is knit on a size 6 16" circular with size 6 dpns. The pattern is Bankhead and is available as a free Ravelry download. Stitches used were knit, purl, k2tog, ktbl and sl2kpsso. The Charcoal and Raspberry is knit on a size 7 16" circular with size 7 dpns. Originally intended to be knit to a pattern, but I wasn't happy with the stitch definition I was getting on the size 7 needles. I ripped it back to the ribbing, tried something different and wasn't happy with that either. I ripped it out again and just decided to do a plain and simple slouchy stockinette hat. I do like the way the color change is defined, almost as if I planed it.

I had tried something new just before making the pink hat. My husband had asked for hat. Gasp! In all my years of knitting he's never asked for anything. So I stopped what I was doing and made him exactly what he asked for. Of course it was too big. So I made a duplicate, smaller needles, less stitches cast on. He loves it. What I also found was that my original Old Norwegian cast-on was just not as stretchy as I had thought. I did a search through my books and decided to try the Alternating Long Tail Cast-on. It's a bit tricky to get the hang of, but its a lovely stretchy rib-like cast-on. I did it again with the pink hat, it will be my new cast-on when starting with a ribbing.

All four of these hats were knit during the 2018 Olympics. Ravelry does its own knitting themed event to follow along. I made these with my Hats for Sailors team. There are no prizes. Only the gift we are able to give next fall when we supply a ship, or two, or, three, or hopefully four, with warm hats.



Comments

Popular Posts