March #1 - Blue Smoke

Look at this it is only the tenth of the month and I'm already posting and realistically I could have had this written a week ago if I could have gotten the photo taken. But, it's winter. I live in Illinois.

This month I did a test knit for Greg, a Ravelry friend of mine (Rav ID: knittingdaddy). He has designed a few items, hosts a Ravelry group, a website with podcast, and is general a nice guy. The librarian in me liked that he included a backstory with his pattern, a little insight to the pattern's name.

My first attempt at the pattern was during the Winter Olympics. Trying to be true to the pattern I used the recommended size 8 needles and selected a Cascade 220. I wasn't thrilled with the stitch definition so I opted to finish that hat as something else and went looking in my stash for a nice solid worsted weight. I remembered I had some Hikoo Simpliworsted in Denim that I thought would do the trick.



It did. Stitches used were knit, purl and k2tog. I used the written instructions as opposed to the chart, because I just find it easier to use a row counter. I could have gone down a size in needle since the hat should probably be more beanie-like. And I will admit I did not gauge swatch (which I probably should have). I like the pattern, found it easy to follow without having to keep looking back at the page. But had enough variety to not get bored as I went. Until of course I messed up the decreases. But that was totally on me, not the pattern. It helps not knitting when you are super tired.

When it publishes in the next few weeks, please support Greg with a purchase. I think you'd be pleased.

Comments

Popular Posts