March #2 - Crazy Nights
















While it would seem that the title implies that the hat itself is crazy to make, it was actually the time frame in which the hat was created that was crazy. This past week was a challenging one for my husband's family as his mother became ill and needed hospitalization. This in turn required that someone from the family be with her 24 hours a day. Since I happened to be on break for the week I volunteered for the task of sitting with her through the wee hours of the night. I choose to crochet rather than knit as it is quicker to put aside and easier to rip out when fatigue sets in and mistakes begin. As I sat and worked I often felt this weird "this feels like a movie" moment, and wondered when life would return to normal. This in turn made me think of cancer patients and how often they must ask that same question, when will their life return to normal. Obviously I don't have any answers (wouldn't it be nice if I did) so instead I just made more hats.

The pattern is available for free from the Playin' Hooky Designs. Although the hat can be made up in a wide range of colors, I choose the relatively calm color choice of Berroco Comfort yarn in Goldenrod and Seedling with a bit of Chalk. The hat is crocheted with a size I hook. Stitches used are chain, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, and slip stitch. As always I felt my hat was a bit small so I added a couple of extra rows of single crochets to lengthen it. The pattern often instructs you to "Count your stitches". My advice - count. It does actually save you time. It was a fun and easy pattern I hope to make again wilder colors. (I'll have someone else help me pick them out)

Comments

Popular Posts