Strange name for a hat, yes? Well, with the Camp Happy Times campaign soon wrapping up I wanted to get at least one more truly fun party hat done for the campers. I saw the character hat that Darleen Hopkins made and well I just "had" to make one. My son thinks my chicken is a bit scary, but then again, I was doing the modeling. And, well, all hats look a little scary on me (that's why I don't wear them). I am a bit afraid that I made the chicken part a bit too big as it almost looks a bit out of proportion to the party hat, but I've worn the hat around the house as a test and it does stay upright (hopefully that holds true for the eventually wearer as well).
There is no pattern for the actual chicken part of the hat. I used a fairly standard hat pattern and then sort of "winged" it for the remainder of the pieces. I'm somewhat disappointed in the beak since it is not as stiff as I would have hoped, but then again I used a softer cotton yarn than I could have (it's what I had in my stash). The party hat pattern is available as a Ravelry download. I used the following yarns; Lily Sugar'n Cream in Yellow, White, Black, and Mod Green; Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton! in Mulberry & Carousel Ombre; and Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Terracotta. I used a size H hook and a darning needle for the embroidery. Stitches used were chain, single crochet, half double crochet, front post double crochet, double crochet, and slip stitch.