Sunday, December 7, 2014

Catching up

Yes, I'm catching up on back posts. It seems rather silly to post an October hat after I posted one for November and since it is already December. Honestly. I have been rather bad these past months, haven't I?

So instead of having a series of oddly dated/named posts, I'm just having this one with a bunch of hat updates. Don't get too excited, I think I kept putting off posting about this particular hat because I'm not very happy with the end result.




















You know how it is when you get something in your head and you can't let it go? Well it doesn't always work out. I saw this Ski Bunny Headband by Drops Design in the September 2010 Creative Knitting and I thought it was very cute, but obviously I wanted it to be a hat. So I decided to adapt the pattern. I followed the pattern as written through casting off and then went back and picked-up 88 stitches along the top side of the headband, knit two rows and started a basic decrease pattern. I used Berroco Comfort in Grape Jelly on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, k2tog and pf/b.

I'm fairly certain the reason I'm not happy with the outcome is my yarn choice. Because the hat is intended for chemo patients I like to use non-wool yarns, but then the yarn often doesn't keep its shape and tends to be a bit floppy in some patterns. The finished hat doesn't look bad once you put it on, I'm just just that sold on the final look.

Work has been excessively busy for me this fall and I find myself working from home instead of knitting. I miss the stress relieve that knitting provides, but I haven't found a solution just yet. I did manage to quickly knit up some simple hats for November. Nothing special, nothing new.


Dream is the Button-tab hat pattern that I've made before and is knit with Berroco Comfort in Chalk and Barley on a 16" size 7 circular needle and a set of size 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and K2tog. 







Fall Folliage is knit with Cascade 220 Superwash in Ruby for the band and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Glenwood for the body on a 16" size 7 circular needle and a set of size 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, and K2tog. I simple c/o 88 stitches of the Cascade in a 1x1 ribbing for 1.5 inches and then knit another round since I think it makes for a smoother color change. I then added two rounds of a mystery yellow yarn before switching to the Shepherd Worsted for the remainder of the hat. I knit in stockinette for six inches before beginning a basic decrease pattern.


I have some changes in mind for both my project and this blog. Hopefully they will result in more hats and more postings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment