April 2012 #3 - Sweet Pea
















The pattern is actually written as a baby hat, but I went up in needle size from the recommended size 6 in order to make a slightly larger hat. I wanted a simple child's hat but with a touch of fun and I think bobbles are just the thing. Although I like making hats with bobbles, I just don't like making bobbles, but I like the look so I put up with slowness of the bobble.  For whatever reason I can never remember how to make a bobble and need to look up the directions every time.  (and every bobble looks unique, why?)  I also changed the top of the hat from a leaf looking thing (which is probably supposed to be the lettuce part) to a simple knot for two reasons. First I was using a partial skein and didn't think I'd have enough yarn, and secondly I didn't think the leaf look would be appropriate for an older child.

The pattern is Peas and Lettuce Hat and is no longer available. I used Berroco Comfort in Seedling on a size 7 16" circular needle and a set of 7 dpns. Stitches used are knit, purl, k2tog, and a bobble stitch. To change the top I opted to continued the decrease sequence to include a round of k2tog in order to end with 9 stitches. I then knit in the round for 5” bound off and then created the knot on the top of the hat.

Comments

Popular Posts