Sunday, August 1, 2010

August hat #1 - Shells and Trellis
















Technically, this post should be titled August hats #1 & 2, but since they are the same hat I felt they should really only count as my first for the month. Actually, they're not the same, it is more like hat #1 and her larger, looser, and better crocheted sister. I used a G hook for the first hat, realized how teeny, tiny it was turning out, and I almost frogged the whole thing, but I decided to go ahead and finish it up (I'm keeping those young girls supplied). I realize I hold my hook tightly, but geez I think its more like a death grip, which is kind of driving me a little nutty, so....I decided to give the hat another go and move up a hook size (a good excuse to use my new H hook). As you can see, although it is still a bit on the small size (after all it fits my little head), it is much nicer and a more respectable donation.

The pattern is available for free at headhuggers.org. For both hats I used a partial skein of Berroco Comfort in Seedling and 1 skein of Schoeller and Stahl Batika in color 101 (a fingering weight yarn doubled) . As mentioned the smaller hat is crocheted using a G hook and the larger an H hook, although I wouldn't necessarily use my work as a reliable tension gauge. Stitches used are dc and sl st.

0 comments:

Post a Comment